I have earlier blogged about building your online home-based engineering business through youtube and starting a blog. Now I would like you, Engineers, to know more about the very potent opportunity in engaging the Affiliate Marketing. Indeed, there is real business in this industry.
There is a very basic and popular question from every Engineer who is just getting started with affiliate marketing. How do I begin affiliate marketing? Affiliate marketing is a proven and great way to earn money online. But as it is a Business too, you have to work harder to get sales. It would probably be helpful to understand exactly how the whole process works, who does what and when money is made.
What is Affiliate Marketing?
Affiliate marketing is the process of earning a commission by promoting other people's (or company's) products. You find a product you like, promote it to others and earn a piece of the profit for each sale that you make.
People who promote products in this manner are called "affiliates", or sometimes "partners" or "associates". Most affiliates promote products through their websites or email lists. Affiliate marketing is not a tool for scammers and spammers. Affiliates are regular people looking to earn some extra cash from their websites, or individuals wanting a serious work-at-home business that they can perform from anywhere in the world, with serious earning potential.
Every successful affiliate marketer started at some point with little more than an idea and a domain name. Getting off the ground with that initial property and making that first conversion is a big deal, and a big challenge. Check below for the 5 steps to earning your first Affiliate Commission.
- Choose a Niche - you will need to decide which niche are you going to target (Engineering is a good niche). If you don't know what your site is all about or which group of people you are going to target with it, then you can't really build a site around it. Here are some key questions to ask yourself when determining your profitable niche: What topics are you already passionate about? - It is easier to write or work on something you are passionate about. If you are passionate about it then you are definitely knowledgeable about it too. Is there money in this niche? Are people willing to spend money on this niche? - Your passion is indeed recommended but sometimes the opportunity of making money in a profitable niche is of more value. You might not know much about your niche, but if it is likely to earn you money, you can always learn more about it, spend time to gain information about it. What topic could you yourself write blogs with ease? - The topic in your chosen niche must have enough depth wherein you can create a lot of content for it. If you want to build an authoritative website, you must have enough content about a topic.
- Research Affiliate Programs - Once you are done with Step 1. It's time to find out the programs and products that you can promote. Here are the top affiliate programs in the internet today: Clickbank (I use this a lot), Amazon Associates, Google Adsense, Commission Junction, LinkShare, ShareASale, eBay Partner Network. You may visit each site to learn more about it. You can find lots of programs or products related to Engineering.
- Build a site - I would like to refer you to my previous post. Click on the link below. In there, I have promoted hostgator which is one of my affiliate products. If you join hostgator (build a site with hostgator) using that link, I will earn commission without extra charge to you. (That would be appreciated, Engineers helping Engineers, great).
- Produce excellent Content - Now ready to start the most time-consuming part of the affiliate business. PRODUCE CONTENT. However, this will be the most rewarding part as well. The ultimate goal is to be an authority in your chosen niche, and the best way to do this is to consistently write unique and high-quality content. This could be PRODUCT REVIEWS, Blog Posts that address common problems related to your niche, or any informational products.
- Build an Audience - If you have excellent contents, people will follow you naturally. If you catch the attention of interested audience, consistent traffic will be provided to your site and more importantly sales will follow. You may promote your content via social media, use your Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Google+, Instagram and many more social media. The key here is to build relationships. And once you have your audiences' trust then promote products and services to them.
Has this blog helped you understand the potential to build business using affiliate marketing? This is a tried-and-true strategy when it comes to affiliate marketing for beginners. Just put in all the hard work, and you’ll very soon be reaping the rewards of your first affiliate commission.
Please share to all Engineers you know and they will surely appreciate this. There are lots of opportunities for Engineers to work at home and build business around it.
I can do all this through Christ who gives me strength.
Latest posts by Jomel (see all)
- Why Engineers blog? - July 9, 2017
- Engineers must understand what is a “blog” and “blogging”! - July 8, 2017
- The Engineers’ Opportunity. Build an Online Blogging Business - June 22, 2017